Lauren J. Shatz, M.D.
Cornea – Cataract – Refractive
Dr. Shatz received his medical degree from Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and his fellowship training in cornea, cataract and LASIK surgery at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute before settling in Northampton in 2003.Dr. Shatz summarizes his work as “RESTORING, ENHANCING and PRESERVING vision” for all of his patients. He performs modern, no-stitch cataract surgery and employs state-of-the-art lens implant technology to meet each patient’s unique visual needs and lifestyle.For LASIK and Advanced Surface Ablation treatments, he uses the Wavelight EX500 excimer laser, the fastest refractive surgery platform available in the U.S.In addition to performing sophisticated microsurgery, Dr. Shatz emphasizes simple prevention techniques to optimize vision and ocular health.
Comprehensive eye screening and close attention to risk factors that may predict future problems is crucial. Dr. Shatz trains residents from Baystate Medical Center at his offices in Florence and Amherst. At your office visit, you may be asked permission to allow one of these doctors-in-training to observe him.Volunteer work is another important component of Dr. Shatz’s career. On a yearly basis, he provides free eye care services to underserved populations in countries where quality health care can be scarce and not taken for granted. Most recently he travelled to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam to perform cataract surgery with a team of local doctors. Prior to that, he worked in Nevis, West Indies with his partner, Dr. Hubbe, who oversees an eye care program that provides cataract surgery, glaucoma treatment and diabetic eye care to residents of the island.
Corneal/Refractive Surgery Fellowship
- 2002-2003 Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
Best Eye Hospital for 11 consecutive years by US News & World Report
- 1999-2002 Boston University Medical Center
- 1998-1999 Albert Einstein Medical Center
- 1994-1998 Jefferson Medical College
- Board Certification
- American Board of Ophthalmology
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- New England Ophthalmological Society
- Massachusetts Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons
Hospital and Surgery Center Affiliations
- Baystate Medical Center, Springfield
- Cooley-Dickinson Hospital, Northampton
- Cataract and Laser Center, West Springfield
- Eye and LASIK Center, West Springfield